I found one of the most beautiful meditation quotes by Buddha which said, “We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves”. This quote became my mantra and helped me get deeper into my meditation practice.
I started learning about meditation and how to bring more peace and calmness in my life. I read tons of books and articles and kept a few quotes that inspired me throughout.
I learnt more about the practice and when I realised the benefits, I started teaching it to more and more people. Here is a beginner’s guide to meditation if you want to start your practice but don’t know how.
Meditation is a beautiful practice. Here are some of my favourite meditation quotes to inspire you to adopt this practice.
Meditation Quotes to inspire you every day
1. Buddha was asked, “What have you gained from meditation?” He replied, “Nothing! However, let me tell you what I have lost: anger, anxiety, depression, insecurity, fear of old age and death.”
2. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless – like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” ― Bruce Lee
3. A few conscious-hearted, sincere, and energetic men and women can do more in a year than a mob in a century. – Swami Vivekananda
4. Untrained warriors are soon killed on the battlefield; so also persons untrained in the art of preserving their inner peace are quickly riddled by the bullets of worry and restlessness in active life. – Paramahansa Yogananda
5. The gift of learning to meditate is the greatest gift you can give yourself in this lifetime. – Sogyal Rinpoche
6. Meditation is not a way of making your mind quiet. It’s a way of entering into the quiet that’s already there – buried under the 50,000 thoughts the average person thinks every day. – Deepak Chopra
7. Prayer is when you talk to God; meditation is when you listen to God. – Diana Robinson
8. Mental problems feed on the attention that you give them. The more you worry about them, the stronger they become. If you ignore them, they lose their power and finally vanish. – Annamalai Swami
9. So what is a good meditator? The one who meditates. – Allan Lokos
10. If you are quiet enough, you will hear the flow of the universe. You will feel its rhythm. Go with this flow. Happiness lies ahead. Meditation is key. -Unknown
11. Learn this from water: loud splashes the brook but the ocean’s depth are calm. -Unknown
12. No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -Unknown
13. Life is a mystery – mystery of beauty, bliss, and divinity. Meditation is the art of unfolding that mystery. – Amit Ray
14. Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. – Buddha
15. If you cultivate the attitude of indifference towards the mind, gradually you will cease to identify with it. – Annamalai Swami
16. Meditation can help us embrace our worries, our fear, our anger; and that is very healing. We let our own natural capacity of healing do the work. – Thich Nhat Hanh
17. One hour’s meditation on the work of the Creator is better than seventy years of prayer. ― Muhammad
18. It is our own mental attitude which makes the world what it is for us. Our thoughts make things beautiful, our thoughts make things ugly. The whole world is in our own minds. Learn to see things in the proper light. – Swami Vivekananda
19. If one thinks of oneself as free, one is free, and if one thinks of oneself as bound, one is bound. Here this saying is true, “As one thinks, so one becomes. – Ashtavakra Gita
20. When meditation is mastered, the mind is unwavering like the flame of a candle in a windless place. – Bhagavad Gita
21. We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves” – Dalai Lama
22. The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is. – Eckhart Tolle
23. I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.
24. The goal is not to be better than the other man, but your previous self. – Dalai Lama
25. As you walk and eat and travel, be where you are. Otherwise, you will miss most of your life. -Buddha
26. The energy of mindfulness has the element of friendship and loving kindness in it. – Thich Nhat Hanh
27. As you breathe in, cherish yourself. As you breathe out, cherish all Beings.” – The Dalai Lama
26. World peace must develop from inner peace. Peace is not just a mere absence of violence. Peace is, I think, the manifestation of human compassion.” ― Dalai Lama
28. Neither a space station nor an enlightened mind can be realized in a day. – Dalai Lama
29. There is no other greater ecstasy than to know who you are. – Osho
30. Each morning we’re born again, of yesterday nothing remains, what’s left began today. – Palladas
31. To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle. – Dalai Lama
32. In today’s rush, we all think too much — seek too much — want too much — and forget about the joy of just being.- Eckhart Tolle
33. One should strive to understand what underlies sufferings and diseases – and aim for health and well-being while gaining in the path.
34. A disciplined mind leads to happiness, and an undisciplined mind leads to suffering.
35. All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If the mind is transformed, can wrong-doing remain?
36. Meditation is to be aware of what is going on: in your body, in your feelings, in your mind, and in the world. – Thich Nhat Hanh
37. Inner peace is the key: if you have inner peace, the external problems do not affect your deep sense of peace and tranquility…without this inner peace, no matter how comfortable your life is materially, you may still be worried, disturbed, or unhappy because of circumstances. ―Dalai Lama
38. Yoga means now. You will have to be a harmony. You will have to become one.
39. Mindfulness practice means that we commit fully in each moment to be present; inviting ourselves to interface with this moment in full awareness, with the intention to embody as best we can an orientation of calmness, mindfulness, and equanimity right here and right now. – Jon Kabat-Zinn
40. Those who have little interest in spirituality shouldn’t think that human inner values don’t apply to you. The inner peace of an alert and calm mind are the source of real happiness and good health. Our human intelligence tells us which of our emotions are positive and helpful and which are damaging and to be restrained or avoided. – Dalai Lama
41. Life is not a problem. To look at is a problem is to take a wrong step. It is a mystery to be lived, loved and experienced.
42. Everything is created twice, first in the mind and then in reality. – Robin S. Sharma
43. All beings want to be happy, yet so very few know how. It is out of ignorance that any of us cause suffering, for ourselves or for others.- Sharon Salzberg
44. Relax, let go. But remember only one thing: You are a Witness.
45. If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.- Amit Ray
46. Somehow I always seem to forget the most powerful tool I have in my parenting arsenal: myself. My presence.
47. Stepping out of the busyness, stopping our endless pursuit of getting somewhere else, is perhaps the most beautiful offering we can make to our spirit. – Tara Brach
48. The energy of mindfulness has the element of friendship and loving-kindness in it. – Thich Nhat Hanh
49. Meditate. A few minutes of deep meditation will connect you with the ocean of intuition deep within you.
50. In the still mind, in the depths of meditation, the Self reveals itself.- Bhagavad Gita
51. Look into your heart with your eyes closed and you will find the entire universe there – Buddhica
52. Your mind is the most powerful system you will come across. Either you control it or it controls you.- Chakshu Vats
53. It is always about you until you look at the sky and realise how everything is a part of the cosmic plan.- Buddhica
54. There will be difficult times. The question isn’t why. It’s how you respond.- Unknown
55. When you start looking inside everything around starts making sense.- Buddhica
56. Once in a while, take a break from this constant cacophony of life and feel the warmth of silence.- Buddhica
57. Meditation is not just about focusing on the breath or chanting. It is a medium to help you connect with your deeper self.- Buddhica
58. Meditation is the art of shutting off from the outside world for a while and tuning in to the inside. Most people are afraid to look what’s inside so they never. – Budhhica
This is the list of my favourite meditation quotes available on the internet. Hope it has given you the much-needed dose of motivation to start your practice and experiment with meditation.
Here are some other resources on meditation you might find useful.
- Concentration meditation and how to do it
- Gibberish meditation for people who can’t meditate
- Myths about meditation
Comment below and tell us your favourite meditation quotes of your own.
Found this helpful? Share this with your friends and family.
Chakshu is a US alliance certified yoga teacher, a biotechnologist and an Ayurveda evangelist. Her passion is to help people live a toxic-free life, emotionally and chemically. She loves reading self-help books. When she is not writing, she is busy thinking about life.